Temporary Program Manager
Temporary Program Manager - Customer Experience Project (fixed-term contract for 18 months)
Digital Department, Royal Academy of Arts
c.GBP45,000 plus annual staff incentive scheme, generous DC pension and other attractive benefits
Based in Blackfriars until late 2017 and in Piccadilly thereafter
About the Royal Academy of Arts
The Royal Academy of Arts is the UK's leading artist-led organisation, putting on the country's most successful exhibitions, and championing the making, debating and display of the world's greatest visual arts.
About this position
We are currently beginning a major project to develop a class-leading customer experience across all of our engagements with our visitors, members and supporters. We are now looking for an experienced Program Manager to lead the project forward, ensuring delivery of the range of technical, organisational and cultural workstreams that make up the Customer Experience Project. This is an incredibly exciting and varied role with real transformational potential.
The Program Manager will work with staff across the RA to scope, procure and implement a range of new technical solutions across ticketing, membership and Customer Relationship Management (CRM). We are aiming to take an RFP to the market later in 2017, so this role will work with people across the organisation (including a business analyst, technical lead and head of procurement) to deliver the tender documentation, manage the process and work with the selected suppliers to ensure the project delivers to timelines and budget. This role will have a key position in pulling together teams across the organisation to deliver, offering a once-in-a-lifetime development opportunity to transform our technical infrastructure.
This role will work with staff from the CEO to frontline team members to help deliver a new customer-focused culture at the RA. The Program Manager will support teams to organise workshops, training and development opportunities, alongside setting up and tracking new KPIs for customer engagement.
As Program Manager, you will support RA management and teams to deliver changes to our organisation to support our most important customer journeys. This will involve supporting managers across the organisation with research, program support and delivery capacity where relevant to ensure we make the most of our new technical infrastructure.
Overall, you will be responsible for the effective delivery of the Customer Experience Project. This will include managing the day-to-day budget, overall project plan and documentation, and project communication. This will be a challenging and varied role, which offers a huge opportunity to the right person.
- Owning project delivery across the core workstreams in the project; ensuring that important milestones are met
- Reporting across steering group, Executive Committee and workstream groups
- Act as central point of contact for the project, focusing on prioritising requests and ensuring deliverability
- Owning relevant project documentation (project plans, scopes, reports, risk registers etc)
- Planning, facilitating and reporting on workshops with staff and suppliers to ensure delivery of the project
- Delivering and managing procurement process for new systems, in conjunction with procurement team and external procurement experts
- Advising and delivering on organisational change elements of project; supporting business owners in defining skills, roles and teams
- For example, helping engage with directors and heads of department to help deliver on organisational changes in their business areas
- Including supporting individual managers and teams with business process improvements
- Work closely with Business Analyst and business teams to define and refine processes and customer journeys
- Work closely with stakeholders to ensure delivery in relevant areas. For example:
- CRM team to deliver effective requirements and roll-out plan for CRM/Customer Data systems
- Digital product team and Tech Lead to deliver seamless digital experiences that talk to the new systems
- Commercial and Front of House teams to ensure point of sale systems work effectively
- Fundraisers to ensure roll-out of new systems meets their requirements across capital, corporate, trusts and foundations
- Membership teams to ensure system(s) can deliver relevant functionality to our members at each level
- Work with Digital Director to lay out implementation roadmap for phases of project and ensure resource/structure is in place to deliver each phase
Core business skills and experience required:
- Effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Interface with all project stakeholders - users, sponsors and stakeholders - good communication at all levels
- Knowledge of techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling programs to ensure plans, timelines, documents are accurate and up to date
- Ability to maintain good project governance in accordance with the agreed project vision and principles
- Able to communicate effectively with software engineers are well as commercial staff
- Manage the program budget in partnership with the finance team
- Good understanding of the procurement process including negotiation with third parties
- Experience of working in both an Agile and Waterfall delivery environment
- Sufficient seniority and credibility to advise project teams on their projects in relation to the program
- Ability to find ways of solving or pre-empting problems
- Ideally to have had experience of arts or membership organisation
- Undergraduate qualification in strategy, business, management or a relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
- Proven experience as a Program Manager or other managerial position
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods
- Excellent Knowledge of performance evaluation and change management principles
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office; working knowledge of program/project management software (Basecamp, MS Project, Atlassian products etc.) is a strong advantage
- A team-oriented personality. Your commitment and focus influences those around you to do better. You gain satisfaction when the team wins.
- A strong general manager, with ability to manage and inspire across many divisional and cross-RA teams engaged with
- Ability to work collaboratively with each of the divisions, understanding their different cultures and reflecting this in the approach taken
- Knowledge and skills around organisational change and development
- Interest in digital media and the transition of traditional media into a digital environment
- Experience working in a consultancy function, with highly varying functions and levels of seniority
- An outstanding communication style - you will be responsible for a lot of project communication so you must be comfortable presenting, writing, running workshops and one-to-one sessions with program staff.
How to apply
For a recruitment pack please visit our website via the button below.
Closing date for applications: 20 August 2017
Interviews to be held week commencing: 21 August 2017