Senior Design Manager
Senior Design Manager
Reports to: Head of Design/Functional and Project Director/Project or Department Director/Departmental (eg Work Winning)
To support the development of the Design strategy and implement and manage the control of the design process to ensure that the design is a winning solution and can be delivered to meet the project requirements and are in line with cost parameters.
To manage the design aspects of projects and provide specialist support and guidance to the Design team
The role may be on single large or complex projects or across multiple projects.
Financial: Varies dependent on size of project(s)
Organisational: Varies dependent on size of project(s) The senior design manager may be required to lead a design management team and support activities such as document control, BREEAM, BIM, and specialist internal experts
Internal: Work Winning Team, Business Development, BIM team, Project teams, Estimating teams, Engineering Technical Leadership Team, Delivery team
External: JV partners, Customers, Designers and Supply Chain Stakeholders and Control Authorities
- Lead the development and implementation of design proposals, ensuring they meet customer requirements, including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer. The design should deliver:
- Safety in construction and use
- Quality within affordable parameters
- Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact
- Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community
- Commission and scope independent design reviews
- Maintain records of all inputs and outputs including tracking formal submissions and approvals
- Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team including M&E elements. This includes the management of any 3rd parties or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd parties.
- Provide advice and guidance on the "buildability" of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages.
- Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required - such as town planning, building control and services eg gas and water.
- Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream, as required and take and communicate the learning to our teams
- Lead the development and management of the design deliverables programme:
- Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables
- Lead gate reviews activities to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate and to include appropriate communication to Bid Managers and other Design/Work Winning team members as required
- Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, bid deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme
- Lead the implementation of the BIM CSUK protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models
- Ensure BIM management is provided during the project(s) life ensuring the supply chain is fully aware of BIM requirements
- Consider the application of Lean construction techniques in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction
- Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the bid/project with the aim of sharing it across the business stream and the CSUK business
- Proactively contribute to the Risk and Value Management process
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- This role requires an individual with proven experience at a senior level in delivering design services within a Work Winning environment and or in delivery of a project and successfully implementing design strategies as well as relevant project experience.
- Leadership skills are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure. Experience of leading a team and/or coaching team members is desirable.
- Numeracy and bid/report writing is a requirement.
- The individual will know 'what good looks like' in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner.
- Good working knowledge of BIM is required.
- The individual will have experience within the most current forms of procurement.
- Relevant professional membership with an appropriate institute, eg RIBA, BIBSE, IET, aligned to the workstream is recommended.
- A valid CSCS card is a requirement.
- Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential.
- Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the business stream.
- The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the relevant business stream.
To apply for this role please send through your CV for consideration and we will be in touch should your experience match our criteria. Unfortunately due to high volume we will only be able to contact those who have been shortlisted.
Advantage xPO is in the top 1% of staffing companies in the world. With a truly global footprint. Advantage xPO specialises in recruitment outsourcing. Working with some of the leading employers around the world, Advantage offers global contract and permanent career opportunities across a wide range of industries and sectors.
Advantage xPO: services offered are those of an employment agency for permanent work and/or employment business for the supply of contract/temporary work.